View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I found Mick's thoughts about MOTW in his book. Though he may add some emotional comments, it's interesting:

Our next single, Peter Green's "Man of the World," was recorded while we were in New York and was released in England in April 1969.
Like "Albatross" it had little to do with the blues, owing more to the music the Beatles and Stones were doing at the time, opening acoustically and then turning to a harder rock feel. Most of all, "Man of the World" was sad, even abject. In retrospect, we should have seen it as a warning of what was to come. Singing softly, Pete's Iyric was ominous: "Guess I've got everything I need, I wouldn't ask for more/And there's no one I'd rather be, but I just wish that I had never been born." Looking back, we now realize just how disillustoned Peter was becoming with rock stardom and the pursuit of material wealth.

Despite its trenchant air of sadness, "Man of the World" was a hit, reaching number two in England, a tribute to the esteem in which Pete was held by our British fans. But for us, "Man of the World" was the end of an era, because it came out not on Mike Vernon's Blue Horizon Records, but on Andrew Long Oldham's Immediate label.

And since the Beatles is mentioned in this thread, I add this comment from the same book. I was googling to see if this is true, I found a comment about Here comes the sun being a tribute to Albatross, but can't confirm it's reliable.

The Beatles loved "Albatross" and recorded "Here Comes the Sun King" as a tribute to Pete.