View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I did NOT have a major meltdown on social media.
The sad thing is that petep9000 probably believes we have a clear idea to whom he's referring. However, there are so many Stevie fans who have major meltdowns on social media that I can think of a half dozen candidates off of the top of my head that would fit the bill, and that's only counting meltdowns from the last few months!

Quote:
Lots of people go whack in the Stevie Nicks fan culture. Even the former fan-mail woman went whack back in the 90s on rec.music.artists.stevie-nicks. She infiltrated the channel, turned her vicious aides-de-camp on the rest of us, and we finally ousted her and them. But by that time, the psychic damage had been done, and we spent the remainder of our Usenet days bickering among ourselves, out of gas. We were so enervated by that point that even the news from Stevie Nicks reps that the fan-mail gal had been fired didn't fill us with much joy.

The whole culture is rife with impersonators, drag queens who believe they're Stevie, and sociopaths.

Christine's fans are relatively mild. One often latches on to her base just to find some quiet sanity.
Well, it's hard to imagine dramatic types being drawn to Christine, and the problems are often caused more by the drama queens and the deluded than by the drag queens and the impersonators (although the categories are not mutually exclusive). Of course, the sociopaths are never nice to have around! The deluded include not only those who think they're Stevie, but also those that think they have some kind of special intimacy with Stevie that makes her "theirs", and no one else can understand her, no one else can truly love her like they do... those people scare me, too.

Usenet is before my time. I struggle to remember my first crazy fan experience. They kind of all blend together after a while.

As for the topic... this song came into my head earlier today, and I was thinking that it's an "unpopular opinion" that this demo is good:

Yes, it is flawed in more ways than one. There's something about it, however, that I find quite moving.