Thread: Bella Donna
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes I agree with your description of Bella Donna. I would just add its a song about finding inner strength and your confidence. I had an incredible Bella Donna moment once. About 1983 or 1984 I was at an amusement park with my friends. It was night and all the lights on the rides were on. There was a full moon in the sky and it was summer. There was a little lagoon in the amusement park with benches around it. I cant remember the circumstances why I was alone on a bench near the lagoon. Maybe my friends went to ride a ride I did not want to ride or something. But I am sitting there and they are playing music over the loudspeakers and I kid you not......the song Bella Donna comes on. It was a surreal moment for me. A surprise song (not some top 40 hit), I was alone with a full moon and I was just beginning my teenage years. This summer night and this song is something I will always remember. I got to listen to the entire song before my friends came back. It was like magic. When the song started I thought someone was playing a joke on me. Looking up at that big full moon hearing "don't you know that the stars are a part of us."

My favorite lines:

And the woman may be so awestruck and the woman may truly care.. but the woman is so tired...... so the woman disappears......come in out of the darkness

No speed limit.....This is the fast lane....it's just the way that it is here

And the lady if feeling like the moon that she loves

Don't you know that the stars are part of us

I also like the beginning about the trapeze and pony and she calls it phony. To me she is calling out the glory hounds in life and how unauthentic people are in this life.
You nailed it.. that's my fav part, too. There's a lot of sorrow underneath all this. Because to me she is saying that she no longer is Stephanie and that person is gone. And I can feel that sorrow in her voice, in the music, in the words. It's perfection.