View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Junior Ledgie

okay, so we're discussing boutique amps. here's where I'm at on this. A decent guitarplayer can get a good sound with just about any equipment, IMO.Buying a boutique amp doesn't insure good quality at all either. I spent some time at the Kendrik Amp factory in Austin, TX in the early 90's. Monkeys assembling crappy Fender knockoffs with radioshack parts, folks.
I've witnessed several performances where guitarists would use a Dumble overdrive special or steelstringer, John Mayer at the Grammy's comes to mind, sounded like a Peavey Bandit to me. Santana recently switched from Boogies to Dumble, I sure can't tell the difference. Played a gig recently with a fellow who used a Dr. Z, the treble just about killed my ears, our other guitarist used a Badcat in the studio last year and the tone wasn't happening until I gave him my WEM Dominator ($200 amp) to try, another friend owns a Victoria 4x10', the thing is a bit better than a Fender reissue but rattles at high volumes and nobody knows why or how to fix it, now to the flipside of the story, I already mentioned the WEM Dominator, another great amp is the Epiphone valvejunior ( supercheap), crate made a few really good ones and don't forget the Digital Hybrid amps ( Line 6, etc) . I saw Tom Anderson ( Dwight Yokam) using a $350 Epiphone Hollowbody and a Line 6 and he sounded spectacular. my favorite amps are regular Fenders from back in the day, they always sound good. Boutique amps are attractive to people who like to blame it on the gear.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited by yeti; 02-25-2009 at 11:57 PM..