Thread: Hot Topics
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Yes, I know that. I didn't mean they literally stole an election.
You don't seem to have the most democratic example of democracy in the world though when the most popular candidate to the tune of 3 million votes (more than 2% of the electorate) loses- but that's another story.

Anyway, I see there were positive comments from your President regarding gun control yesterday. That's a step in the right direction. I'd be happy for you all if he manages to get something done- He's gone up one notch in my estimation, though the bar is still pretty low. Of course, he might speak to somebody else tomorrow and change his mind.
Our founders were brilliant men. But they were highly suspicious of common and ignorant men. When they created the government not only did they put checks and balances on all branches of government but they also created a check and balance on the people's power. For example only land owners were allowed to vote. The Congress they created was 2 houses. House of representatives elected by the people and the Senate where the Senators where appointed by the governors in each state. The Senate approves treaties, judges, etc. They wanted educated men in these positions so the elected power was not given to popular vote until 1917 when the constitution was changed to allow popular vote of Senators. The electoral college does many things but the most important thing it does is a chance for the college to over turn the popular vote in case the people voted for a flawed candidate. Its perfectly legal for any member of the electoral college to vote for anyone they want. However tradition is they vote the way their district does. But they are not bound by it at all. Many times over the years not all members of the electoral college vote for the president their district did. For example in 1988 one member did not vote for either major candidate for president. His one vote made no difference in the election and it was more of a protest vote. After the election of Trump many lobbied members of the electoral college not to vote for Trump. But most of the college voted how their district did which elected Trump.
The electoral college will be repealed in the next 50 years. Right now the rural states feel powerful but in about 20 years you can win the presidency by only winning 8 most popular states. You could win 42 states and still lose the presidency. Democrats are wimps lost 2 presidential elections in the last 25 years to the electoral college but winning the popular vote. If this happened once to Republicans, they would definitely move to abolish the electoral college. But once 8 or 9 states decide the presidency with the major cities, they will change their minds.