View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
There are movies about mass murderers with zero input from the (now in jail) mass murderers. Not talking about documentaries here. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood which is out now is a re-imagining of a murder of Susan Tate, Roman Polansky's wife. It angered the family of Bruce Lee as Bruce Lee is portrayed in the film as a buffoon. I doubt they bothered to sue Quentin Tarantino, even still.

And who can forget how publicly angry Amy Winehouse's father was with how he was portrayed in the biopic "Amy"? He couldn't sue for defamation though because they used real life footage of him talking to Amy. The way he treated her was real.
when you are a public figure and have given boatloads of interviews etc that are public you really can't stop someone from actually making a movie.

That's why Stevie never actually said, if you read her comments carefully, that she would stop Lindsay Lohan from making a movie about her, she said she would slam it in the press so hard no one would go see it.

Which actually is shockingly naive because the more she would bad mouth the movie the more attention it would get and the more people would want to go see it to see if what she complained about was true. And the critics etc would love it because it would give them a whole juicy story to write about.

It's actually got a name-- it's called the "Streisand effect" (google it). Short version is someone was publishing something (a coastal environmental study or some such) that inadvertently included a picture of Streisand's house. She made a big stink trying to get them to remove it or whatever and all it did was draw more attention and more people finding out where she lived-- the very thing she was trying to prevent. If she had just shut up about it not very many people would have seen the article and thus learned her address. So in bad mouthing the Lohan movie Stevie would in fact have been giving the movie MILLIONS in free publicity. Stupid.

But it speaks to Stevie's inflated opinion of herself and her power in the media. She's used this kind of argument many times within the band to get her way on stuff-- I think MIck even wrote about it in his first book-- she said "How will it look if I go to Rolling Stone or whoever and trash the album?" Ego much?

I suspect it stunned her the amount of negative backlash she got from the LB firing. You know it had to because they've largely kept her protected from any media contact, hidden away in her little ego cocoon where you know, she's a LEGEND and whatever delusions she has are treated as reality.