Thread: Show Americans
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought I'd move my response, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I don't think he loved Martha. The foundation was always that he was doing his job. The guilt was his own for creating a false relationship and then having her shipped out. I think he thought, "What am I doing in this life?"
He ruined Martha's life and her parents (she was their only child). He felt guilty. Some audience members thought that was love. The Hollywood Reporter pointed out that Elizabeth thought it was love, too. Keri said that Elizabeth's feelings, sparked by jealousy, are not proof of what the truth is.

I wonder how you and I thought differently about the use of Tusk and The Chain in the series as opposed to viewers who were not FM fans. I thought that Tusk worked very well in the pilot, but later when they used The Chain for the sequence where they (with Hans) kidnapped that student I wasn't that impressed. And I think I might have been if The Chain didn't have a completely different meaning for me, due to the band.

I mean, I think the song can be used in the show in an episode where Phillip and (finally) Elizabeth want to get out of the KGB and can't because of their history, because the physical threat they face when they leave (death) and because of Elizabeth's emotional ties to their cause.

I guess I associate a particular feeling with The Chain so that I don't see it as the soundtrack to an espionage action scene.

Michele