View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM
Junior Ledgie

One word: wow! I've seen this before but I love your analysis. This version is really heavenly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
17 Reasons This 'Rhiannon' Clip Is the Coolest Thing in the Universe

1 This video doesn't need a presentation, it's the famous "Rumours tour" concert filmed by Warner on the 5th of December 1977 at the Tokyo Budokan. Fleetwood Mac, especially Stevie after vocal chord surgery, in Japan weren't at the top of their game but this performances are still special and raw. The Budokan, the most special concert place in the east, is said to bring out the best in musicians, and many musicians include it among their favorite venues. It was born as a palace for martial arts but when in 1966, in absence of another possible place, had to house the Tokyo Beatles concert, the sport building become concert place. If you want to read the interesting history of the Nippon Budokan, you can find it here: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/budokan-venue/

2 Stevie makes her entrance walking slowly with her arms wrapped around herself, enveloped in her black silk sleeves and with her soar voice pronounces: "This is a song about a... a good witch..."

3 A gold light illuminates Stevie's face: she's particularly gorgeous with her Robert Plant-like hair, she's a "Golden goddess".

4 In this performance she dropped all the high notes, but what lacks in virtuosism is compensated in charm and charisma, singing sultrily with her eyes closed and covered in a see-through black silk veil.

5 The spirited look she has at 2:12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPc-NpoVwvQ#t=132

6 And again at 2:41 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPc-NpoVwvQ#t=161

7 Her sweet bewitching harmonies on the chorus.

8 When the lights switch to red it's the clue that Stevie is about to switch from golden to fiery goddess; she starts bringing out the power in her voice.

9 I think we all know from whose closet Lindsey's hawaiian shirt comes... nice solo anyway.

10 From the bootlegs I can hear that the band's playing during the Japan tour was harder, heavier, maybe because around that time Lindsey started to be interested in punk-rock. Anyway musically the Japan shows are my favourites.

11 Under the red light Stevie unfolds her wings-arms one at a time and starts her magic: during Christine and Lindsey's interlude twirls faster and faster, never tiring, until she stops abruptly and moves forward with her head down, always swinging her silks.

12 She stops with her arms in the air and the veils falling covering her face and starts making unearthly sounds. She starts twitching her arms gradually lowering them, and uncovers her hair first, then her face. Now we can see her beautiful face again.

13 With outstretched wings-like arms, Stevie begins howling "Dreams unwind love is hard to find" in trance, letting her velvet top lower in the meanwhile.

14 Now Stevie prepares for her big end: she tosses her silk sleeves away and frames her face with her open hands sideways, always with closed eyes.

15 Stevie finally grabs her microphone and her voice becomes biting. She bends her knees caressing her hair and lets go: "golden, emerald, satin" making enticing gestures with her fingers.

16 The end is near and Stevie, all over her microphone, starts pushing over the limits of her voice and slowly rising while chanting "all the same, all the same, Rhiannon" over and over.

17 She throws her hand open in the hair and, during the last dream on scream, she closes her fist and lets herself fall like the dying swan.