Thread: Kiln House
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

Was that the album that Bobby Vee was backed by the Crickets? [/B]
That was a year earlier, different label - "Bobby Vee Meets the Crickets" - (Capitol 1962)
the origins of Jeremy's songs can be really hard to track down -I just found out that the song "Shelia" from one of the BBC sessions, (another Buddy Holly sound-alike) was a hit for Tommy Roe in 1961 -
Even I was too young for that one, but I do remember (though with no great fondness) Roe's 1969 chart-topper "Dizzy"

You mention Spencer's insecurity, I think that's why he chose to do his parodies - how can they fault you if you don't take the number seriously yourself?
It's really too bad that it is so difficult to see past the Elmore James covers and Teen Idol spoofs as I think his contributions deserve a second look - especially the amount of (uncredited) piano work he did during their BBC tapings -
Favorite forgotten track of the moment: "I'm So Lonesome And Blue", a BBC track from "Show-Biz Blues". I just love Green's guitar work on this one (laugh if you want)- I think they really found the right balance between sticking a finger in the eye of the genre and still turning out a real song -

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder