View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default more Fleetwood Mac - SYW or BuckVie rendition?

i thought Christine said something interesting in that Uncut interview from this week. she basically said that Say You Will incarnation of Fleetwood Mac was really not a Fleetwood Mac but more a glorified newer version of Buckingham Nicks.

here's the excerpt:

In retrospect, In the Meantime holds up surprisingly well, especially when compared to Fleetwood Mac’s more bombastic Say You Will, released the year before. It was the band’s first record in 36 years without McVie, and her love songs are greatly missed. “Even with John and Mick playing, it was like a glorified Buckingham Nicks album,” she says, referring to the duo’s pre-Mac release. “I think that element of me might have been missing, those love songs that are both intimate and commercial. So to be back in the band again is just magical.”

while i don't agree with her exactly, because i think Say You Will music, lyrics or singing are nothing like that old Buckingham Nicks album, i think she's definitely onto something when talking about the Fleetwood Mac musical style in the last 40 years.

regarding SYW [not] being like BN - i think Lindsey especially has grown as a songwriter and an overall artist by leaps and bounds since the BN time and his music and lyrics on SYW are so much better they can't even compare. plus BN were much more of a musical entity during BN time while they were two very separate artists by the time SYW came around.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"