View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Junior Ledgie

@Elle-

To each their own. I just never got into Dont Stop even before it became roadkill so to speak. The arrangement never worked for me. I always felt that was one of Christine's weakest songs.

Sara is a very divisive song. Other peeps I know who like the Mac either love it or hate it. I'll never forget Robert Christgau the music critic saying how he disliked Sara. But then again, his taste in music is very, very questionable. He thinks everything has to have a "Bob Dylan" lyrical deepness.

He looks more at the lyrics than the musical arrangement. For me the lyrics can be garbage as long as the arrangement salvages the song. Remember how lyrically early Beatles records were juvenile? It wasn't their lyrics in the beginning that made them special. It was the fact they were using Everly Brothers -inspired harmonies with folk chords backed by a rock beat.

Nobody at that time was really doing that. Just an example.

Anyway.

@MacShadows -

I can respect that. I think the reason Tusk alienates a lot of White Album Rumours fans is they tend to be more into classic rock like Eagles, Boston, or Skynerd.

BTW that isn't a diss just so there is no misunderstanding. Whereas if you're someone who listens to stuff like Roxy Music, Germany era of Bowie, Kraftwerk, Wire or Public Image Limited the Lindsey stuff can be appreciated more.

That is why you get so many up and coming indie bands listing Tusk as an influence as opposed to Rumours. Cause it dabbled more into new wave and some post punk areas.

I can admire the craftsmanship of the first two buckingham-nicks lineup albums. Even if I feel they pale next to Big Star or The Raspberries in terms of being Power-Pop Classics.

Again no diss intended, but I think to really appreciate Tusk, you have to really like out-there artsy kinds of music. Otherwise it can be rough going. May I suggest popping in the first two Roxy Music albums back to back then put in Tusk if you listen to music while working. It will help you understand Tusk more in that respect.