View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just out of curiosity, why would anybody care what Stevie thinks of Billy? In any case, I've never heard/read Stevie say anything at all negative about him and she had worked on her solo material (Rock a Little) as well as with the band.

Anyway, this is the first I've heard of Buckingham wanting a second guitarist, but if they had taken on a second guitarist before LB's departure, Burnette would have been a logical choice - given his collaborations with the various members of the band. Also, it was always my understanding that part of the reason that two new members were brought onboard is because Billy is an excellent songwriter but is by no means a lead guitarist. While Rick is definitely more guitarist than songwriter and both had been friends and had worked together before.

As for Burnette's "Rockabilly" style, that may be his primary sound, but he is entirely capable of playing just about anything and playing it well.

But regardless of what anybody thinks of Burnette and Vito's talents, the fact is they never really stood a chance. It's a rare band indeed that can lose such a key member - not just a guitarist, but also singer, songwriter and producert - and not suffer on the charts. Though the complete inflexibility of a certain sub-group of Fleetwood Mac's fanbase doesn't help matters.