View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I really think her shouting at the end of Lady does work beautifully. I know it's not "pretty" but it just matches the lyric to tremendous effect.

Other than that I kind of agree with most of your post, GS, although I actually do connect with the album on the whole. I love Mabel Normand, but it is ridiculous at the same time. That's sort of why it works for me. But I do wish she'd lay off talking about how "important" it is. It simply isn't. Someone please tell the woman.

Hard Advice is classic overly-literal modern Stevie, and although I do enjoy the song, it frustrates me at the same time. Just because you see something at the mall one time doesn't mean you should write it into a song. And the ernest delivery of the final notes "Don't buy that doll" just doesn't match the words at all. I wish she'd be open to more of an collaborative editing process with some of her songs, but I'm not holding my breath. We're going to hear more lyrics like this if/when she records again.
We're mostly on the same page, Dex. Lady is the song I probably connect the most with, but it's too long. Less is more sometimes.

This extreme literalness and self-indulgence is what's plagued her music since the mid 1980s. Who can relate to seeing a cut-out of their ex in a record store?