View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I was hoping this album would showcase Stevie's songwriting at its most mature. But the sheer clunkiness of I Don't Care and Hard Advice (much as I do enjoy that one) squelched that dream for me. I now view it as a very competent and pleasant solo album with a few skippers. Pretty much par for the course from solo-Stevie. It fits right in with everything else, for me. I don't really consider the retrospective angle of it much at all.

The one thing I do think this album lacks that IYD had in spades is songs with an emotional build to them. I'm not sure how to describe what I mean in a way that makes sense, but I feel like most of the songs on 24k simply come in, do their thing, and leave. There's no build or climax to most of these pieces, and as such I never got that lump-in-the-throat sensation that I do upon listening to a lot of her best work. (Almost) Everything is very pleasant sounding, I just wish more of it had a bit of oomph to it in that way.
Hey Dex, I completely get what you are saying; it's a very intuitive assessment. It makes sense to me. Perhaps that element is lacking due to the circumstances and manner it which it was recorded: Short time frame, stock Nashville band, and not building songs from the ground up, but using existing foundations.

But I love the approach she took, and hope we get another volume or two of vault songs or new songs in near future. If this is the process that will facilitate her to produce more solo albums at a time when time can't be wasted anymore, so be it. She seems to know that father time is not on her side.