View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the ep is beautiful but i also am not thrilled. reason being. as much as i love the IDEA of eps... I haven't been able to respond to them as art. Even the best EPs in the history of the world--those released by Florrie--I listen to assembled together as a longer playlist that, essentially, makes up the greatest pop album of the century, rather the eps themselves as an isolated format.

But I digress.

This is also weird because I thrill to the four-track singles (one A-side, three b-sides) by the likes of the Pet Shop Boys and Morrissey. For me, part of it is the analytical anchor of the A-side and the gratuitous love signified by so many b-sides, that impact my experience of the Single vs. the ungainly, unfocused EP (which feels like a place-holder before a proper album). Those two qualities of the four-track single invite the listener to discover the theme.

So, oddly, if it were billed as Sad Angel as a single with three b-sides I would probably be raving about it as the release of the year instead of barely listening to it.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 05-23-2013 at 07:40 PM..