View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 12:57 PM
Ledgie

Hey this is great ChilliD!

I think that you are right about the "Flee" album. But I think that it was Ahmet Ertegun's (The president of Atlantic Records) suggestion to come up with something to sound like FM, in order to capitalize on the success that they were having.

But I do think that if some of that stuff was on one of the FM albums, people would have said "Oh yeah, I remember that part of Fleetwood Mac, cool, great song"!

As far as disco, I couldn't comment on that.

Jeremy told me that he never personally referred to what he did as parody. He said that was a term that critics or reviewers used. He said that he played that Rock and Roll music out of a love and respect for it.

He said that he had to kind of "ham it up" to make it more well recieved by the audience. Because he didn't feel that just playing the songs was enough.

I doubt if any musician starts out not playing the music of their favorite artist, and trying to "nail it" perfectly. Jeremy just happened to be so good at it, that he was able to take it to a professional level.

As far as Elmore James, he said yes, he was trying to sound like him. But I think that it was probably about the same as the way he did the Rock and Roll. He had the ability to do it, and he was living the blues. I have yet to hear anybody else come close to his interpretation.

I agree with you about the "Jeremy Spencer and the Children" album too. Although you may know more about whether he was borrowing from other people than I would. I just kind of hear it as him. I don't think that he was really into many of those other groups that you mention, but perhaps some of the others in the band were.

I'm not all that keen on the 90's live material. I would prefer different songs. I do like the studio recording of "Red Sky Blues". I think that it is as good as anything that he has done.

The "Johnny B Goode" slide. Like Christine said "He was a hell of a slide player, probably better than Elmore James".

As far as your favs. I like your list. I'm surprized to see "Blood on the Floor". A lot of people don't understand where that is coming from. Good show! I'm also surprized not to see "Hi Ho Silver".

I'm not all that crazy about "Purple Dancer", but that's me.

I also would add to the Rock and Roll stuff: "Tiger" and "Hi Ho Silver".

For the blues I also love: "Baby Please Set A Date", "Mean Mistreatin' Mama" and "Stranger Blues". Oh, and "Can't Afford To Do It".

You don't say which "Got to Move" that is your fav. Is it the one from the Dog and Dustbin album, or the live version?

There is some stuff that I don't particularly care for: That Do-wop thing and some live Rock and Roll stuff. But other than that I like most everything he has done.

I'd love to create a set list and take him on a blues circuit tour!!!

Doc

Last edited by Doctor Brown; 01-27-2003 at 01:04 PM..