Thread: Say You Will
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Illume is probably my favourite track on the album. Dark and dramatic, it captures the mood of the time. Stevie really tears into the vocals for the most part, and the trance-like beat and heavy instrumentals are really effective.
The lyrics are very good too. People really want literal words? "We are in a hotel and buildings are falling down.....la la la la"

Poetry is subtle and the casual listener may not even catch on its about 9/11. She even mentions Osama without calling him by name (shadow of a stranger). Her reference is putting smell to cover the smell of death and how they can get out. All very real and dramatic in poetry style. I suppose its a song that makes you think very similar to the actual 9/11 memorials. Each memorial like war memorials are an artist's view in trying to convey something that is not always literal.

My first several times hearing the song, I was confused like everyone else. WTH? But then I understood, that's on purpose and then I got to see the layers Buckingham added to the song. What people are saying they don't like about the song are purposely put there. Its like the debate on whether Tusk is under produced or over produced. Many will say its over produced purposely to sound like its underproduced.

Illume : Confusing, dark, angry, singing cold, distant, no direction where its going Those were my feelings exactly on the day of 9/11

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-30-2020 at 08:32 AM..