View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Actually, I don't think underproduced is the right term. Lindsey wanted a less polished sound, but a whole lot of deliberate production and effort went into making the record sound the way it does. I think it's a very produced album that sounds polished where it needs to and a little raw where it needs to.
Well that was Christine's description and I sort of agree. Is not a raw or organic sound underproduced? I think everyone has the same feeling but different word to describe it. They spent a long time in the studio because they had so much material It was 2 albums and not one. My comment was about how many of us wanted a more cohesive sound with all the members. Leaving backing vocals out and leaving many songs like Honey Hi or Never Make Me cry almost sound like demos. IMHO that is the purest example of underproduced. I also think Over and Over is so raw and underproduced that if it appeared on any other Mac album it would have been super polished. The Mac sort of went overboard with overdubs on Mirage. Christine and I don't see it as a negative term as you may see it. Its neutral. Over-produced does not mean overly commercial either. IMHO when you leave tracks in their organic or raw form, its the definition of under produced. The amount of time on the double album has nothing to do with the production value. We don't mean underproduced as being less effort. I think you are saying Lindsey over produced the album to purposely make it sound less polished?
I guess this conversation is very typical when discussing Tusk because it never fits into any category. One of my biggest regrets in life is not asking Lindsey a quick question during the meet and greet about the Tusk tracking being purposely incohesive as many allege happened. Others disagree with that and if you check the front page of this forum, this question is pending to Richard since 2016 when he mentioned about a Q & A session.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-02-2019 at 03:40 AM..