View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
It's been posited that when Trump and the majority of his fans call for making America great again they seem to be talking about times when white men had unquestioned seniority in most fields. I am offended in the extreme by many things these mostly white men say, and most by their leader born into privilege and then saying women should give up their careers to make sure their husbands sinners are on the table after their supposed unquestioned hard work, and give up their careers or jobs if one of them harasses her on the job.

Do you know the term "Born on third base and thinks he hit a triple?" You are in a bubble of privilege and extreme slanted media manipulation that was once not allowed before your FCC was stripped and made toothless. I have heard many southern white males talk about how when they were children there was never a race problem, another clear example of a bubble of ignorance. And now they want a non-politician for the top political office, the only appeal of which is unfounded promises of returning to some good old days favored overwhelmingly by white males, particularly with lower education.

As with the much loved John Wayne what you get behind the facade and posturing is not true, so often hard work stands in for there buddy got them their job. Wayne had every string pulled to get out of serving in WWII for the sake of his acting career, Trump had five deferments after graduating a military college to get out of serving in Vietnam. All fine until you start blustering about green berets and water-boarding and getting tough. Like Black Lives Matter the rest are not all going to keep taking the b.s. and throwing the mud that belongs on you onto others and drumming up apathy. Not qualified is not qualified regardless of anything else which is why Mitt Romney didn't quite making for simple 'looking the part' as was often said of him.

As a white woman I've been particularly successful, I am often confronted, always by white men alluding to my sleeping my way to things or being given deference to fill some imaginary female quota. I see the down side of male colleagues needlessly competing against each other in very negative ways too. My father is a white man who works harder than anyone I've ever known and with little access to education and I've seen how poorly that is rewarded and seen a lot of boors who pretend to be what he actually is as a weapon against others. My father survived starvation in Holland at the end of WWII as a child and had family killed by invaders for organizing stoppages to protest Jewish people being marched away and he has no such huge outrage and blame in him. A lot of white men have become spoiled brats and are tantruming lately in this self-righteous fight against political correctness and the supposed 'lust for power' they see in Hillary's eyes. I am not interested in taking their side because it only makes them worse and doesn't help them.
I can surely empathize with your negative feelings about the white men you talk about in your post. But you are not going to "lump" me in with these sorts based on the color of my skin, my sex, or where I was born and live.