View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Just re-watched the scene from Destiny Rules.

Karen complains to Lindsey that he's wasting time by not booking Chris Lord-Alge for the mixing session. Lindsey explains that his manager couldn't get the deal finalized with Lord-Alge because of demands for commitments that Lindsey (and the band) were not prepared to make. Lindsey calls his manager with a view toward putting him on the phone with Stevie/Karen so they can get briefed–and voice their concerns–directly. But as soon as Lindsey says, "They're pointing fingers at us," Stevie flies off the handle and denies that's what they were doing – though that is what they were doing.

I see the point, but irrespective of how Karen speaks to him here I still don't think Lindsey should be yelling at someone else's assistant (and yes, I realize that's not necessarily what happened in the wake of the Musicares walkout music).

There is a hierarchy in a band, just as there is in any business organization. the band members themselves are far more critical to the success of the band than any staffers. Thus, Lindsey and Stevie are more critical and have a higher position than Karen. This is regardless of how close or dependent or whatever Stevie is to Karen. In business, you are correct, normally one manager doesn't chastise an employee who works for a different manager, but rather they speak manager to manager. However, the additional aspect of this rule is that an employee of one manager doesn't go in to another manger for whom they do not work and proceed to chastise that manager.

However, that was the very position that STEVIE put Karen into-- making Karen complain directly to Lindsey on her behalf rather than having the guts to do it herself. If Karen is going to directly confront Lindsey, then as others have noted, she has to be prepared that Lindsey will react directly to her. And Stevie can't get upset about it, because she's the one that created the situation.