Thread: You and I
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I'd say it's each to their own.
I could confidently, comfortably and happily play Tango in the Night to anyone unfamiliar with the band. In fact, I'm sure I have done, plenty of times.
Unfortunately I'd be quite embarrassed by some of the Mirage material though. The sound of Oh Diane, Empire State, Love in Store, Book of Love...
I personally love it for what it is, but it sounds very, very old.
Perhaps not the lyrics, but the production sensibilities are very cheesy in my opinion and moved the band firmly away from rock towards pop music.
Of course everyone has different likes and dislikes. There are so many Stevie fans who say RAL is their favorite album. I just cant get my head around that but to each their own.
When you have a fantastic bass player, brilliant drummer and keyboardist its silly or insulting to use programmed bass or other computer stuff. What is funny is Lindsey took it to the next level and even used computer trickery on voices.
Mirage is a soft rock pop album with some brilliant songs (Lindsey will have quirky songs on every album)
Tango is a piece of synth 80s pop with a simpler sound than Mirage. To compare songs like Only Over You with Lindsey's guitar, Christine's singing, keyboard playing and those harmonies to anything on Tango is a bridge to far for me. Forget eras. Any song lyrically, musically, and vocally is vastly better on Mirage.
Mirage still had Fleetwood Mac sound. Tango had very little of that which confuses me when Mac fans put it near the top of their favorite album. Behind the Mask sounds much more like Fleetwood Mac because for the first time since Mirage the rhythm section got to hum again. Not to mention the best harmonies of any Mac record: Love in Store, Straight Back, Gypsy, etc. Tango had a few Lindsey/McVie harmonies but so much trickery its hard to tell.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-18-2020 at 04:24 PM..