View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Yes, it looks and sounds like Peter Green is playing it, but it is more subdued and less powerfull than the original.

Ms Moose
ms moose- thanks for confirming.

it is a loose take, and his voice doesn't sound strong or clear, so i can understand why some of the youtube comments on the clip are to the effect that 'he's lost it.'

but when i listen to him play i hear someone capable of, well, tossing off the original solo from black magic woman if he happens to be in the mood. that he's not playing an out of phase les paul, at less than half the volume and has altered the phrasing makes it seem subdued and less powerful, but i don't know that it is exactly that.

i've heard a lot of splinter group renditions of black magic woman and nigel always played the solo. every time the thought creeps in, well maybe he really can't do it anymore. of course a song or two later pete would do something like play 'the stumble' or 'the supernatural' better than his mayall versions and i'd wiseup. so, even though this is a shambling pick-up band performance of black magic woman, i kind of think that he hasn't lost it at all.

zero