View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don't think her comments represent anything personal. In fact, Billy made a similar comment specifically regarding Bekka Bramlett. The problem with the post-1987 bands is that the band DID try to recreate the Big Mac instead of letting the new people bring their true personalities into the music, like they did with Welch, Nicks, and Buckingham. Behind The Mask could've been a monster album, but the band caved in to label pressure to focus more squarely on the girls. Billy and especially Rick had better material that got ****canned. I think that rubbed Stevie the wrong way. Even the Tango tour set lists could've been a better showcase for the new guys as well as revisiting the classics.
I definitely agree with everything you said. In addition, Stevie said publicly she should have quit when Lindsey did. 1988-1995 Fleetwood Mac was just a caricature of itself. That's not because the members had changed, but because the band was trying to pretend like it hadn't even happened.

While I'm partial to the Rumours lineup, I think given the chance, the band could have really made some cool music with Rick Vito. In my eyes, Billy Burnette was what made the whole thing cheesy. They didn't need another guitarist. I don't think Billy's style complemented the Mac's at that point either. His presence muddled what possibly could have been an interesting transition. I think Rick's solo song "Intuition" is a good example of how his distinct style could have been exploited within the Mac.