View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Sorry, Strand, I will never see Stevie's behavior during the Tango sessions in the way that you do. I know she had a tour for part of the time. I know she has some personal problems for part of the time. With those things I sympathize and it's not something I hold against her. But those situations didn't span two years, and I do not see spending 10 days on an album as being a grand gesture of loyalty or commitment to the band. I never will. After having spent virtually no time with the band during the recording, she was in for the tour. Having spent all of his time recording, Lindsey made another choice.
Well, in fairness, "some personal problems" were a decade+ cocaine addiction, a painful hole in her sinuses, and a stint in rehab. Which is quite a bit to be dealing with, while also trying to maintain one's professionalism and business commitments.

Stevie (and the rest of the band) has said that she was there "in the beginning," when the album was in the planning stages, but by the time recording commenced, she had embarked on the solo tour she was already committed to.
During the tour, she sent demos to Fleetwood Mac (including "Seven Wonders"), and stayed in touch with the band.
And when her solo tour was finished, she was rushed off to Betty Ford.

Once she was clean and sober, of course, she went into the studio with Fleetwood Mac... it just happened that by that time, the band was nearly finished with the album.

By the way, estimations place the start of recording on 'Tango' in Late-Spring/Early-Summer of 1986. The album was released in April of 1987... so the band didn't work without Stevie for two years. Sounds more like it was just under a year.

I'm not trying to paint Stevie as a martyr, but she could have just as easily cited "personal reasons" for not appearing on the album and/or not touring.