View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Yes, she and Mick both were in a pretty bad state during the making of TANGO (and hence a big part of why Buckingham didn't want to tour), but when I say "baffling" I mean baffling that the rest of the band didn't insist on better songs. As mentioned before, even going back to ones previously demo'd for MIRAGE.

As you say though maybe her state just didn't allow for them to do so, and maybe they considered it lucky to get the three that they did. It's such a disappointment though. Her songwriting was top notch through the first four Mac albums. I thought McVie slipped a bit on TUSK, Buckingham slipped on MIRAGE, and then Nicks on TANGO. Post-RUMOURS there was always one of them that wasn't up to par during a particular album.
There is a common theme about the songs Steve contributed to Tango. They were all new songs. Maybe she wanted to contribute new stuff for fear her older songs had been rejected before.
One thing I would love to know is about the vocals on When I see you again. Did Lindsey take the vocal directly from the demo that was mailed? Did Stevie actually show up in the studio to record it? Was his part added to make the song complete?
IMHO Welcome to the Room Sara is another clue. Its a song post-rehab. Clearly the band had very little material to work with while she was on the RAL tour or in rehab. Once she reappeared again there could have been panic and she just brought her most recent song. It seems her songs were just thrown into the mix at spontaneous times.