View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebise View Post
Lindsay, after Stevie's "Rhiannon" became a well-known song, Stevie then found out about the mythological Welsh goddess, mostly from the prose books by Evangeline Walton, based on the Four Books of The Mabinogion. It is after immersing herself in these stories that Stevie wrote her other Rhiannon-inspired songs, as well as changing the content to her own "Rhiannon" as well, mostly in meaning if not so many actual words.

"The Maker of Birds" is the title of the chapter in The Prince of Anwynn in which Stevie takes many of the images for her song. Stevie's "The Maker of Birds" was recorded and copyrighted in March 1978. The storyline in the song is from that book.

If you read the Evangeline Walton books, you will see how much they inspired Stevie.

***Remember, when Stevie wrote "Rhiannon" in November 1974, she knew nothing about the Welsh goddess, having only read the name as a name for a character in the book Triad, which was about two Welsh sisters, Rhiannon and Bronwen, but neither were goddesses or witches.
Thanks so much for the insight. I probably knew most of this but like I said I never paid much attention since I hadn't been a fan of the song in the past. I actually like it more than Lady From the Mountain, China Doll, If You Were My Love and the other piano demos from that time (those are from that time right?).
Do you love The Maker of Birds demo?