View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm going to be blasphemous.

I came into this late, as I've said elsewhere. I didn't hear Tusk until 1999. At the time, the only Fleetwood Mac albums I'd heard were The Dance, the Greatest Hits, the White Album, and Rumours. I loved almost every song on those albums. Especially with the latter two, which weren't collections - I was really impressed with what a consistently awesome band this was. Every song wonderfully crafted... I bought Tusk with excitement, eager to hear more from this fantastic band.

I'm just an average person. When listening to a song for the first time, I don't think in terms of its commercial viability. I don't debate whether or not its attributes should be in ironic quotation marks. I just want to enjoy it.

And I thought most of Lindsey's songs on Tusk were crap. I thought, "It sounds like he didn't even finish some of these."

To me, saying "The Ledge" is artistically superior to "The Chain" is like the postmodern artist who tells you that his piece of wood with orange paint splashed on it entitled "Emotional Distress" is artistically superior to Michelangelo's "David."

Over time, I have come to appreciate them more after that initial reaction of "Woah, this is crap. What the freak happened?!" But I'll never consider them his best work. Not even close.