View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I have no trouble at all listening to Stevie's music (unless I happen to hate the song). All the less savory aspects of her actions have no influence on my need to hear the songs in the car, at the gym, at work, wherever.

What has changed for me — and it's due more to her tiresomeness than to her ego — is that I don't want to listen to her talk anymore. I used to love hearing her talk. In the old days, I listened over and over to every radio interview she gave. My favorites were the Jim Ladd Innerviews from 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, and 1986. I loved the way she talked and the things she said—how she framed her story. (For example, listen to her take on the love that the members had for one another and how that affected their performances in the 1979 Innerview, or the stories she told Mark and Brian or Mary Turner in 1994 about her professional fears.)

But for several years now, she just rankles me. What used to be always charming is now sometimes charmless. Occasionally, she still pulls out the old carefree, funny Stevie ("I like painting. . . right, houses"). But most of the time she comes across as long-winded, preachy, and shrill. (Did you watch her Australian 20/20 with Chrissie Hynde?) She used to be trite and cute. Now she's often trite and embarrassing—the Sylvia Browne of rock. She too often sounds bitter or cranky about something or other when she tells a story. What's her problem with life, anyway? That she's getting older and no longer looks like her 29-year-old self? Am I insensitive not to feel sorry for her on that count? Would she have preferred the alternative?
The part I highlighted is actually the core of my attitude towards her, but from a fans perspective. I’ll take all of her flaws over the alternative and I’m very greatful for that. Especially when her flaws create excellent outcomes for many fans, at least the ones that matter, not the “jukebox and beer” we would not have the inclredinle Out of the Cradle 2 tour that we currently have without her selfishness.

I honestly like Stevie more after the past year. What balls she has. She’s developing the Neil Young approach of “fu** what my fans want, I care what I want” the only tragedy is she didn’t make this transition in attitude much earlier.

And that is a very well known fact amongst Neil Young fans, he’ll say it himself in a much nicer way obviously. And yes I know it would be better if she adapted his attitude towards making tons of new music this millennium but I’ll Take what I can.

He Will Burn You Down