View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.cinemablend.com/pop/2419...-mac-departure

POP
Lindsey Buckingham Finally Explained His Fleetwood Mac Departure
BY WILL ASHTON

Lindsey Buckingham "Big Love" Official Live Video

On April 9th, it was announced that Lindsay Buckingham was no longer a member of Fleetwood Mac. Over 40 years since the singer/songwriter/guitarist joined the world-renowned band, Buckingham either quit the beloved group (again) or he was effectively fired. Rumors had it (no pun intended) that he left the iconic band involuntarily, as was suggested by fellow guitarist Billy Burnette. One of the reasons why Buckingham's departure has been mysterious is because we haven't heard from Buckingham himself since he divorced from Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham has only been involved in a limited number of public engagements in 2018, but the musician was seen publicly again on Friday at a campaign fundraiser for environmental attorney Mike Levin. It was there where Buckingham finally opened up about the much-publicized split. Here's what the rocker had to say:

For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice. I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. The point is that they'd lost their perspective. What that did was to harm -- and this is the only thing I'm really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity -- it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny.

Lindsay Buckingham's words, as recounted by a user on Medium, don't specify any Fleetwood Mac band member in particular, although people surrounding the legendary musician at the public event were quick to point fingers at Stevie Nicks, and a few people in attendance weren't afraid to use explicit language when it came to voicing their disdain for her behavior. however, at the fundraiser, which was held to give Mike Levin a chance to represent the 49th Congressional District of California as the Democratic candidate, Buckingham made an effort not to express ill-feelings towards Stevie or any of the other specific band members.

This is not the first time Lindsey Buckingham has separated from Fleetwood Mac, as he previously left the band between the releases of 1987's Tango in the Night and 1997's The Dance, but it's the first time Buckingham didn't choose to leave. We're sure he has more to say, but those words will arrive on a different day. Since Lindsey's exit from the rock band, the veteran rocker has since been replaced by not one, but two separate musicians (which should hopefully serve as a testament to Buckingham's impact in the monumental band). Neil Finn and former Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers bandmate Mike Campbell are filling in for Buckingham now, particularly as they are preparing to tour once again starting in the fall. The tour begins on October 3rd, to be precise, in Tulsa, OK.

Meanwhile, Mick Fleetwood also opened up about Lindsey Buckingham's departure recently. He admitted that it wasn't a "happy situation" with Fleetwood Mac, his partial namesake, and that they needed to make a decision for the good of the band, also noting they felt it was time for Lindsey Buckingham to go. A "majority rule" made the hard choice. In any case, this isn't the last time we'll hear about this split.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"