View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default a second

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
wouter! i'm with you; i'd really like to know what it was all about but can only guess.

my feeling has always been that nigel initially had good intentions with regard to peter's health and happiness. afterall he was responsible for peter's return to playing and to being a working musician again. but at the same time i believe its fair to say that nigel never would have suceeded as a professional musician without his association with peter. and also fair to say that nigel is an ambitious person with a strong ego.

balancing others needs and well-being against personal ambition in the face of success is difficult for anyone. throw in peter's mental health, his lack of ambition and a long-standing desire not to 'play the game' and you have a good recipe for a rift.

it is a wonder that the splinter group lasted as long as it did. probably we have roger cotton, pete stroud, and larry tolfree to thank for that. if you look at song writing credits and who sings what over the course of the splinter group you'll find that after roger and pete s. joined they wrote exclusively for peter. roger in particular wrote songs specific to peter's circumstances. nigel wrote a song or two that peter sang but mainly nigel wrote songs for himself. i see over time nigel becoming more forward about his own ambitions and the others holding the group together. very sad actually.

zero
I also agree, Nigel knew him for a long time from around the neighborhood. Nigel became a serviceable guitarplayer who in playing peters signature songs for peter during the sets may have inflated his self opinion. This could have lead to jealosy and friction of "DIVA" magnitude. Peter, in the accompaning interview from the Splinter Group DVD really looked almost like a captive to Nigel's protective cloak around him. It was uncomfortable to watch. I can't be the only person to notice this.

too bad, too sad, as it was really good to see peter playing out there in any form. Plus as you said Roger and the others were really good and supportive in the circumstances, as I saw it.

vinnie