View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

I first became aware of Stevie during the RAL era. I wasn't very interested, and I thought she looked terrible during that era. Like a strange gothed out Tammy Wynette (even though I like Tammy as a singer). It was all the drugs and I think she knew she didn't look her best. She tried to hide it with too much makeup and the very big hair. But it didn't really work.

I was very young and at first didn't even know about Fleetwood Mac. I only discovered that history when she came to Australia. There was a feature about her on TV and that gave me a tiny glimpse of the Rosebud era which I found quite cool. Otherwise I took no notice of her until 'The Dance' or that documentary about the making of 'Rumors'. I was amazed that she was able to get herself together to make such a strong comeback.

HAWAFY is still a great track but I never heard it at the time. I think that in the mid 80s she had started becoming tired of people calling her a witch etc and was trying something different. Then in the 90s she thought hell with it.

People seem to get so nostalgic about the 80s. I don't. The music started becoming so overproduced towards the end of the decade. I was glad when they started doing the 'Unplugged' shows and when Guns N Roses first came onto the scene.

It's a shame so many great artists of the 70s seemed to lose their way during the 80s. It wasn't just Stevie. I felt it was perhaps because they didn't quite know how to manage the transition to digital technology or how to redefine themselves in that decade. But a few seemed able to make a return to form during the 1990s.

Last edited by Missy; 07-03-2016 at 12:32 AM..