View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
Is Christine even playing keyboards? I saw her doing something with the foot pedals during You Make Loving Fun, and she was definitely playing during Game of Pretend. But Brett absolutely played the intro to Hold Me. Is she playing at all, or are her parts just mixed REALLY low?

The drum tracks were annoying too. I'd watch Jimmy playing, and realize at many times the drum parts were were HEARING were not what he was PLAYING (Too Far Gone drum solos, Love is Here to Stay being major examples)....

Loved the show. The new songs sounded great. In fact, everything sounded much better in person than the YouTube clips I had seen (go figure). Her voice was exceptionally perfect on Wish You Were Here.
From what I can tell in videos and based on other attendees' comments, she is playing chords and simple figures but her parts are often mixed down. I'm not sure why this is the case. I'm presuming, like the drum tracks, that LB arranged this and/or CM wasn't interested in preparing multi-layered keyboard work as she used to. I have a feeling it's both reasons. He wants the music to sound a specific way. And she is no longer interested in playing everything live (as opposed to her still-impressive studio playing). I first saw this on "Silver Springs" during the last FM tour. She didn't play the piano on it.

I'm thrilled, however, that her voice was in good form and that she sounded especially good on WYWH. While I mis Christine's sturdy, bluesy keyboard textures, I still tune in for the voice. That voice!