View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In early shows with Lindsey and Stevie, she opened with 'Get Like You Used to Be.' Is that a Chicken Shack song?
Yes.

Chicken Shack were a '60s British blues band along the lines of Fleetwood Mac at the time, except not as good. Stan Webb, their lead guy, is no Peter Green. I really like that British blues style of music, but in the case of Chicken Shack I only listen because of Christine.

However, it's definitely worth hearing the two albums they cut with her (or the recent Blue Horizon anthology) for her contributions. Her singing and songwriting were starting to develop to the level of excellence we associate with her, and her blues piano playing was fantastic.

I like the fact that Christine, who in the course of her career developed into the best female vocalist of the rock era (in my opinion), actually started out as a support player in a band. How many other women in pop music (blues or rock) were a musician first, and a songwriter and singer second? It gives her a unique place in the history of rock, in my opinion.