View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The one interesting comment I picked up from the above interview was Green's saying that his creative energies these days is focused on how he could "improve" upon his past work.

Creatively, this is a dead-end for most artists but with Green, I think it could be quite revelatory.
Green's playing on "Dust My Blues" with the Bluesbreakers was always a favorite - the arrangement had some nice variations on the theme - I recently got a copy of the "Eddie Boyd and His Blues Band" LP - a session Peter played on around the same time and his playing on "Dust My Broom" on that is completely different - with Peter's solo having a distinctly loose and "swinging" feel -
(I know he also recorded with the number at one of Mayall's BBC sessions but I have not yet heard that one for comparison)

It seems that Peter is intrigued by the idea of drawing from a reservoir of material and finding new ways of interpreting each number "in the moment" - see the Robert Johnson songs and Otis Rush's "It Takes Time".

Unfortunately, I think this approach is better suited to a solo performance unless the band is exceptionally comfortable with improvisation -

But I wish him well in his explorations and look forward to hearing where they take him

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder