View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
On the Joanne Woodward thing, Of course she loved living with him, a beautiful example of sticking together. But I recently read a very interesting Writers' Handbook article on giving interviews in which this woman said that she had snagged one of the rarest and most in depth, candid interviews with Joanne Woodward because she didn't pop the 20,000th question!
Anyway, how are you?
No, they didn't like talking about each other or their private lives, in general. Even the most innocuous comments could become invasive left to the press, so it was better for them to make as few as possible. I remember once Newman was talking about fidelity and said why go out for hamburger when you've got steak at home. They asked Woodward for her response and she said she didn't like being compared to meat, favorably or unfavorably. Period.

Additionally, the media is never satisfied and likes to tread most in the very areas that should be honored as off limits (i.e. Scott Newman's death). So, don't give an inch, if you aren't ready to lose a foot.

Michele