View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I'm a pretty big Stones fan and the concert approach from 1981/82 as compared to their 1989-90 tours are indescribably different. They added a mini-band behind them and approached their catalog with the intent to mimic as best as possible, the sound of the album recording. Stones fans lament the change to the "Vegas-era" of the Stones in 1989 as compared to their live approach from 1969-82.
I'm in agreement that I think with people willing to pay the premium prices for shows, the live experience changed. You had the Stones sounding more like they were in a recording studio on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour than on a stage. I will say, I think they really let loose on the Bigger Bang Tour and even some on the 50 & Counting Tour. I was at the show where they debuted Emotional Rescue and it sounded so FRESH.
Totally with you on the mini band too. I think in 89 they added Lisa, Bernard, Chuck. Now, I think they added more horns and they actually have 2 keyboard players. Maybe that was just to play She's a Rainbow