View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
From the same interview

'I read about it and told my dad, ‘It’s a huge party thrown by fabulous gay men and women. They love my clothes and my fashion and my songs, and they all go to it and play my music and lip synch!’ And my dad was very conservative, but he said, ‘That is really great, honey!’

And in this interview https://pridesource.com/article/46793/

'because you know a lot of gays adore you.
I know. I’m glad.'

'Drag queens will be all about that, you know.
Yeah – I love it!'

That doesn't sound like a very conservative woman to me.
No doubt Stevie is a progressive woman.

But maybe I am too old to remember history and when a Night of a 1000 Stevie's was only 3 years old and Stevie was asked about it. It sort of freaked her out and said it was "very scary." She did not embrace it like she does today. She could have had fun with it but shunned it in the beginning. Stevie like most everyone else has evolved on gays and drag queens. I was a bit thrown that Stevie dismissed the group at the beginning. C'mon now, it was not THAT long ago.

I would also add the MTV episode "Fanatic" when the lesbian confronts her about being thrown out of her house and she bought Stevie's music to get through life. Stevie was really cold and her eyes just bugged out. Hardly comforting.

I am not calling Stevie anti-gay or anti-drag. I just remember history.