Thread: Landslide piano
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Sorry, but those just end up proving the point I'm trying to make.
For example, in these videos where she's playing and singing at the same time, she changes the rhythm of the vocal to accommodate the piano, where all her attention is. (Like at around 0:40 in the second video--"taken by the sky". She is rushing through it at the same rhythm as the chords, in a way she wouldn't ever do with that line were she singing it live.)
Also the chord structure is a little imperfect--giving it a very amateur sound (I'll leave it someone who can read music to give the technical explanation... something about chord roots maybe). Compare with the lovely piano demo of SOTM, where the same solid piano line is being repeated all the way through the song (and enhanced with further layers as the song progresses) because it's a separate track, and as a result her vocal is also sublime because she can focus all her attention on it.

Quote:
If I can play and sing Landslide at the same time on piano (and I'm here to tell you, I can) surely the woman who wrote the song can?
Well! Can't argue with that infallible logic...

Look--your idea is nice, I guess.
I'm just not in a very Stevie-friendly mood this year to give her an inch where it's not due. Edit: Or to see the band currently touring as "Fleetwood Mac" further tarnish the name of the band in the absence of their musical director. So maybe on a Stevie solo tour--but even then, I think you'll find she wouldn't do it because she knows her limits as far as live stage performances go. I mean, even Christine said she got anxious about playing Songbird up there on stage by herself in front of thousands each night.

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 12-19-2018 at 09:01 AM..