View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham shatters silence over Fleetwood Mac ousting

very nice article where you can go in and click on the links to most videos from last night plus many other relevant videos if want wants to see all different sides of the situation (doesn't mean it's all correct, but still A for effort!):

https://medium.com/@jeremylr/lindsey...g-f77f41762c8c

Lindsey Buckingham shatters silence over Fleetwood Mac ousting

Jeremy Roberts
Retro pop culture interviews and elusive love feelings sustain this University of Georgia Master of Agricultural Leadership alum.
May 12

“There were factions within the band that had lost their perspective…what that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build.” For the first time, Fleetwood Mac guitar slinger Lindsey Buckingham publicly addresses why he was fired from the diamond-certified ’70s pop rock quintet. Dressed casually in blue jeans, a black T-shirt, and cool black leather jacket in the accompanying still, a sweat-soaked Buckingham screams in ecstasy after soloing on a customized Rick Turner Renaissance guitar. Image Credit: Photography by Jeremy Roberts
Thirty-seven days after a tweet by late ’80s Fleetwood Mac guitarist Billy Burnette ironically divulged that the guy he replaced in the rock quintet, Lindsey Buckingham, had been unceremoniously fired at the insistence of Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood, the idiosyncratic Rumours mastermind finally broke his silence over the shocking revelation.

Not seen in public since January 26 when Fleetwood Mac was bestowed MusiCares Person of the Year by the Recording Academy, Buckingham was videoed Friday evening in between songs at a campaign fundraiser supporting Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California.

“It’s been an interesting time on a lot of levels,” said Buckingham from the Los Feliz, California, backyard of fellow Levin donor Erica Rothschild. “For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice.

“I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective [a female fan shouts, ‘F — k Stevie Nicks!,’ prompting Buckingham to raise his hand]. Well, it doesn’t really matter. The point is that they’d lost their perspective. What that did was to harm — and this is the only thing I’m really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity — it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build [another admirer chimes in, ‘That you built, Lindsey’]. That legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one’s higher truth and one’s higher destiny.”

Adroitly drawing a parallel as to why the blue state constituents were in attendance, Buckingham continued, “Now, we also are at a point with our country in Washington where there’s been a loss of perspective. Mr. Dean [John W. Dean, President Richard Nixon’s White House Counsel and Watergate star witness who spoke earlier at the fundraiser] saw it first-hand 45 years ago. I think the difference was that perhaps there were more separations of powers. There was more potential for checks and balances in that loss of perspective. The loss of perspective we see now is indeed threatening to harm the legacy that is the United States.

“In the context of that you’ve gotta think of what needs to be done. It is not gonna come from the top down — it is gonna come from the ground up. This is why we are here. And so, I am most honored and most pleased to have been asked in my own small way to help in that pushback which very, very much needs to happen in order to continue the legacy that we all have come to value. So, thank you for having me.”

Fleetwood Mac replaced Buckingham with two ingenious choices — Australian rock band Crowded House singer-guitarist Neil Finn and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers chief axeman Mike Campbell, whose frequent studio and stage collaborations with Nicks extend to her debut solo single “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” in 1981. The diamond-certified pop rockers are scheduled to begin a prodigious 52-date North American arena tour on October 3 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which apparently precipitated the split.

On a CBS This Morning April 25 profile moderated by Anthony Mason, the jilted “Landslide” chanteuse was not sorry to part ways with her former paramour. “This team wanted to get out on the road, and one of the members didn’t want to go out on the road for a year,” said Nicks, who was the only Fleetwood Mac member not to join the sessions for last year’s acclaimed Buckingham McVie record. “We just couldn’t agree. When you’re in a band, it’s a team. I have a solo career. I love my solo career, and I’m the boss. But I’m not the boss in this band.”

Fleetwood, the groove-laden drummer and co-founder, seconded the most recognizable group member and only one capable of packing arenas to Rolling Stone’s Andy Greene. “Not to hedge around, but we arrived at the impasse of hitting a brick wall,” admitted Fleetwood. “This was not a happy situation for us in terms of the logistics of a functioning band. To that purpose, we made a decision that we could not go on with him. Majority rules in term of what we need to do as a band and go forward.” Singer-songwriter-keyboardist Christine McVie was at home in London and not told until after the majority vote had been cast.

A fan encounter filmed the day after the MusiCares gala and a few days before Buckingham’s sacking found the multifaceted musician explaining that he wanted to plot solo “small machine” dates in between Fleetwood Mac’s upcoming “big machine” trek. There’s obviously much more to the obfuscating soap opera. Until Buckingham decides to shed further light, his diplomatic, classy rebuttal will have to suffice heartbroken fans.

Video Credit: The Brian Larsen Collection / YouTube

On May 11, 2018, former Fleetwood Mac frontman Lindsey Buckingham poses for a quick selfie with indie rock singer-songwriter and ardent Fleetwood Mac aficionado Brian Larsen during a backyard campaign fundraiser appearance for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild. Larsen captured the video of Buckingham’s first public comments on being fired from Fleetwood Mac. Image Credit: The Brian Larsen Collection / Twitter

In his first public appearance since Fleetwood Mac’s MusiCares Person of the Year celebration at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on January 26, former Fleetwood Mac member Lindsey Buckingham opts for a Gibson acoustic guitar during an intimate backyard campaign fundraiser appearance for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild on May 11, 2018. Image Credit: Photography by Talia Osteen Hess / Twitter

“After we flip the house, we’re never going back again!” In his first public appearance since Fleetwood Mac’s MusiCares Person of the Year celebration at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on January 26, former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham plays an intimate acoustic backyard campaign fundraiser appearance for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild on May 11, 2018. Image Credit: Photography by Randi Mayem Singer / Twitter

In his first public appearance since Fleetwood Mac’s MusiCares Person of the Year celebration at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on January 26, former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham plays an intimate acoustic backyard campaign fundraiser appearance for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild on May 11, 2018. Image Credit: Photography by Karen Ray / Twitter

An advertisement plugs the campaign fundraiser for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild. “Rumours” mastermind Lindsey Buckingham, part of Fleetwood Mac’s core lineup for 43 years until being unceremoniously fired in April 2018, made his first public appearance at the backyard May 11 event following the abrupt news. Event co-hosts included actress Alyssa Milano, techno singer-songwriter Moby, and writer-director Cameron Crowe. Image Credit: Photography by Karen Ray / Twitter Image Credit: The Campaign to Elect Mike Levin / Fleetwood Mac News

With hands resting comfortably on his customized Rick Turner Renaissance guitar, Lindsey Buckingham prepares the audience for three new songs in a row by delivering a rehearsed “big machine” [aka Fleetwood Mac] versus “small machine” [the solo stuff] speech during a fantastic solo “Seeds We Sow” concert on October 3, 2011, at the Florida Theatre in Jacksonville, Florida. Image Credit: Photography by Jeremy Roberts

Lindsey Buckingham prepares the audience for three new songs in a row by delivering a rehearsed “big machine” [aka Fleetwood Mac] versus “small machine” [the solo stuff] speech during a fantastic solo “Seeds We Sow” concert on October 3, 2011, at the Florida Theatre in Jacksonville, Florida. Image Credit: Photography by Jeremy Roberts

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"