View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Is Mike really that much of a bigger name than Waddy? Waddy was lead guitarist for Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, and Warren Zevon.

If you are right (and you may well be), then I think they probably don't fire Lindsey without first making sure Mike Campbell is available and on board. Mike is sort of playing it off like he didn't know anything about the opening until Mick called him in March, but I suspect there may have been a call (or some form of communication) in the fall to feel him out and see whether he'd join if asked.

Jeff Beck is interesting. I wonder whether he would have committed beyond a single tour, if at all. The only other big names I can think of are:

Stephen Stills (CSN broke up at the end of 2015), but he's on tour with Judy Collins through November 19; so that probably wouldn't have worked.
Roger McGuinn (probably lacks the chops to do Lindsey's parts)
Marty Stuart (probably too country-inflected)
This has been my feeling from the beginning about Mike. I think Mick wouldn't have just called Mike out of the blue, he would have called Mike first because Stevie suggested him and second because Stevie would have called Mike and felt him out about it, and pitched him on taking it both because it would help FM and because, she would have said to convince him, that it would help him stay busy and help him get over losing Tom. Once she had gotten a sense Mike was open to the idea, she would have gotten Mick onboard and together they got John onboard and then Mick called Mike. And Mike was always curiously careful not to mention Stevie at all when he talked about how he came to join the band... only mentioning the call from Mick, which immediately struck me as odd. I mean, he's been close to Stevie for decades, and the idea she didn't call him to let him know makes zero sense.

As for Stephen Stills, he's notoriously difficult and I cannot see him fitting in at all.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 11-09-2018 at 12:31 PM..