View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Eddy Quintela was a musician and song writer before crossing paths with Christine. He was very talented in both areas and the songs are great but the heavy-handed, usually boringly synthesized, product that was produced in those years doesn't stand up well I don't feel. People like Buckingham are to blame spending over a year per album polishing and tweaking... it probably really got started with Brian Wilson and John Phillips before him though. I would love to have earlier versions of all those songs!

I gave away the double LP Tusk after one listen in 1979-80, so if someone did the same with Time I can't really fault them on just that. I didn't even buy Time myself until quite some time later. I like and respect Buckingham as a guitarist and singer, but most of Tusk belonged on a solo album of his own.
I agree with Becca when she says that those songs Chris wrote in the mid 80s were heavily synthesized and sounded very similar to LB songs from Tusk onwards (with all due respect to his fans), but imho Quitela era wasn't that bad. Some of her masterpieces have been released during that time, just think about "Ricky", "Little lies", "Everywhere" and "Isn't it midnight"...anyway, we are talking about the 80s, the era of synthesizers and first computers, so it's no wonder if she too was fascinated by new technologies applied to music back then.