View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1969 View Post
I think her use of metaphors and other references in 'Liar' is interesting:
The use of metaphors itself is fine and I would have welcomed unique ones. This song just contains a lot of cliched phrases. When you take one and put a spin on it, it's hooky. I have no problem with Heart of Stone, but when you throw several hackneyed words into one song, it begins to sound like lazy writing to me and the music doesn't do anything to transcend the weak lyrics.

I think Liar is catchy enough though, but disappointingly trite. A woman who has used the words "woo me until the sun comes up, then you say that you love me" to imply lying (and her feelings about knowingly being lied to) so beautifully, pains me with Jack of Hearts, shining knight, heart of darkness, walls came tumbling down, roll of the dice, clowns. It's like someone knocked her on the head with a thick volume of adages. I wish someone would have treated the concussion.

Then, we had 2 other songs with schlocky background vocals that would have fit on a 1972 sitcom. But then you had 9 other songs that held their own. Some were good and some were great. Two were some of the best of Christine's career. So, on balance, pretty good album.

Michele