View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
There's a million problems with the album.

1) Stevie was at a career low point at the time and thus has a "stigma" attached to it, mainly from Stevie herself.

2) The album design was rotten. Album covers are the first thing you see, and if you see a pasty, white mess with a bad font, it doesn't give a good first impression.

3) The only two good decent tracks on the album - Listen To The Rain & Love Is Like A River, are clouded behind uninspired production and lazy vocals.

4) The rest of the songs are not up to scratch. Blue Denim would have been called a lazy album track if it were on any other album, yet here it's called a highlight because it's somewhat singable.

5) The lyrics are poor on the album. It stands to reason that the only two good songs on it (IMO) are over 10 years old. I think the only song Stevie wrote by herself for the album in the years preceding it's release was the title track. The rest were co-writes, or were old tracks that wouldn't have had a look in elsewhere.

Although, honestly I do think Stevie (and thus the fans) bashing it has led to a lasting impact on the fans. "If Stevie says it's bad, then it's bad and we have to hate it." It is a bad and uninspired album, but maybe if I hadn't read about the stigma surrounding it, would I know any different? I don't know.

It is all a matter of opinion and personal taste.....my least favorite tracks on this disc is Love is Like a River and Listen to the Rain...so go figure!