View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
17.) I think she isn't as careful as she should be about "borrowing" certain things from her influences ( Oscar Wilde, the guitarist of The Police/Edge of Seventeen riff, etc. ) She doesn't know where the line is and she's VERY lucky that she hasn't been sued, and if she had been it would have made her a BETTER songwriter and a BETTER person.
There are too many "similarities" to other songs in her lyrics. If she is going to "borrow" a good line or two, she should at least shake it up a bit.

Makes me think of that interview she did with Jim Ladd where he mentions her nod to Blind Faith's Can't Find My Way Home in her lyrics and she denies it! I'm sorry. When I heard it the first time I thought, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Few examples

And when she walked in the room
After so many years,
He looked up and saw her
He was standing at the crossroads

1939 Crossroads Robert Johnson original then Clapton with Cream *And I'm standing at the crossroads, believe I'm sinking down.

and the floor was wet and slippery
With the tracks of their tears ***** 1965 Track of My Tears S Robinson & The Miracles

And then I see someone standing
At the side of the stage
Not *standing in the shadows ***** 1966 Have You Seen Your Mother (baby) Standing In The Shadows? Rolling Stones

Battle of the Dragon "Oh so very young" - Cat Stevens title song "Oh Very Young"

Sable on Blonde - Bob Dylan Title album "Blonde on Blonde"

Small example and I know to some it doesn't matter one bit but it bugs me, lol.

Also, her saying "I wrote that song in five minutes" is getting old too.