Thread: Rumours II
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I think Mirage and even more so Tango are not straight commercial albums (though Lindsey tries to portray the former that way). Lots of quirky and adventurous stuff on both (e.g. the backing vocals on "Book Of Love" and "Eyes Of The World") – especially on Tango (all the non-radio songs besides Stevie's).
Mirage is light pop. Not sure how backing vocals on Book of Love makes it any less pop. Maybe Empire State is a bit quirky but probably even Wham's Make it Big probably had a song like that on that pop album.
My point was how the band went against the conventional wisdom of chasing pop radio and commercial success for craft for Tusk yet went way overboard chasing pop radio and commercial success because of Tusk. The band was under tremendous pressure to make Mirage radio friendly pop greatness. Because of Mick's bankruptcy and the length of time between albums, Tango also was under tremendous pressure to be commercially successful. When you chase the pop charts those songs are not memorable. That is what made the White Album, Rumours, and Tusk so great. They worked on songs regardless of pop influence or pressure to get the album in the top 10.

I love Mirage in its pop greatness. I only wish they would have included Smile at You. It needed that angry Stevie rocker but they played it so safe. I love Mirage for what it is. I really only care for Christine's songs on Tango. Its not a group effort and most of it sounds like a Lindsey solo album because it is a Lindsey solo album I believe Behind the Mask is a better album than Tango.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-19-2020 at 04:52 AM..