View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
These statements do not compute.

I have to admit I don't get Vampire Weekend at all. I didn't like Paul Simon's Graceland the first time around and I still don't enjoy it much when Vampire Weekend do it. Interpol are good but I guess I'm at that stage that I know I'm getting old because all I can think when I listen to their albums is, didn't Joy Division do this first and better?
Wilco on the other hand, well I remember when that album came out and how unique it was. I mean, there's folk, country, rock and punk, post-rock and Krautrock influences on that. Plus the whole story about the record company rejected it but became known through peer to peer sharing and still went on to become their most successful record when it was finally released. It's an important record in so many ways imo. Plus the lyrics are tremendous.
I love the Bon Iver record though and his live shows are great. Not the best I've ever seen personally, but he's definitely very entertaining and different to the album on stage.
I don't really "get" Vampire Weekend either, but everyone around me does. I think Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is way better than Vampire Weekend's album, but I personally think that Wilco hasn't had quite as broad of an influence. But you're right-- this list is for the best albums of the decade, not the most influential. I stand corrected