View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
In my mind, the day they announced that album was being released was essentially waging war in the eyes of the Nicks camp. It wasn't a matter of what her reaction would be, it was when and how. As much as I loved the album and tour, I would cringe every time I thought of how it was settling with Nicks. We all knew this wasn't going to be good, but I don't think anyone expected that nut to go nuclear.
Gosh, you are so right about this... I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the album, initially reported to be called "Buckingham McVie," and my reaction. I did like a full-body cringe. That name was such an obvious reference to "Buckingham Nicks," and Lord knows that would not sit well with Stevie. So on the one hand, I was thrilled to be getting new music from these guys. But on the other, I thought the same thing -- this is not going to drive her nuts (regardless, obviously, of her many public statements saying "why would anyone record new music anymore?"). I was nervously excited.

That of course was replaced with full-blown excited when the album came out and when I got to see them in Raleigh and DC. The Classic shows and Person of the Year performance all seemed relatively standard... I don't think Stevie gave two ****s about what Lindsey said in the press about the Classics, but it may have been used after the fact. Honestly, I remember at the time being more concerned about how mad he was that GYOW got all messed up at Classic East and thinking maybe he'd decide he was done with FM in lieu of the smaller stuff.

Looking at all of this in hindsight, I guess maybe I should have been prepared for what came next, but I definitely was not. Sadly I had more faith in Stevie (and the others) than I should have. She couldn't get past it and pulled the pin from the grenade.