View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 11:27 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I had to turn off this crap when he invoked Roger McGuinn and started ranting about “can Tom rest in peace?”

It was the better part of ironic, as I just saw The Byrds (Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman with Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives) on October 3, not even a month ago. Their encore set was totally a tribute to Tom Petty, complete with stories of Tom and Mike. They started off with their song “So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star,” which TPATH had a minor hit with, followed by Roger’s cover of “American Girl,” Hillman’s cover of “Wildflowers,” and Marty Stuart’s cover of “Runnin’ Down A Dream.”

Look, I get Team Lindsey is grasping at straws to tear down the very band Lindsey helped define. But, get real.
I just saw the Sweetheart of the Rodeo show last night, and now Roger, Chris, et al, are doing "King of the Hill" instead of "American Girl", the song Roger cowrote with Tom. Sorry, but their tribute is a hell of a lot better than FM's, which is totally lazy and unimaginative. "Free Fallin" is the best they can come up with?

So it was interesting this guy mentioned McGuinn - I don't think he's aware that Roger is touring and doing a tribute of his own to Tom Petty. I still think it's a fair criticism though.

Otherwise, as annoying as this guy is in the video, the Milwaukee review is a little over the top. The reviewer is overrating Stevie's contribution to FM, par for the course with a lot of these local reviewers.