View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
All this talk of how bad OSOTM is has got me miffed. Sure, I can understand why somebody would think that it is not as good as any previous albums, but has everybody forgotten about Street Angel That album is so much more worse than OSOTM - so much worse...
Part of the problem, though, is that we're talking about a specific timeline here. (At least I am.) This, in many ways, marks the downfall of Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. Up to that point, it was still cool to like Stevie Nicks. But, then came the "Red Rocks" and "Tango" videos, which were, to be honest, horrid, if for no other reason that the close-ups of Stevie that were filmed after the show. When somebody's hair style changes several times during a song in a CONCERT video, it turns people off. And, let's be honest, Stevie's "looks" (while not important to me, ARE important to the public) were beginning to decline. Stevie looked very different in 1989 than she did in 1983. Add to all of this the "Greatest Hits" package, which basically ended any hope of future success for Fleetwood Mac, was released.

So, before "Behind The Mask" was even released, the band had the challenges of Lindsey being gone, two new guys, a fat Stevie Nicks who had a voice that had lost most of its range, and a compilation that basically told the world the band's best days were behind it. And then they release a new album that didn't even have the all of the good songs on it. That's the legacy of Fleetwood Mac 1988-1991. Looking back, it would have been better for everybody involved if Stevie hadn't released "Red Rocks" or OSOTM and the Mac hadn't released the "Tango" video or "Greatest Hits" album and focused all of their energy on making the best album they could, and based on all that's out there, it could have been significantly better.

Now, I don't completely hate OSOTM. It hasn't aged especially well, which can be said of several projects from the post-Tango, pre-Dance era. Even the masterpiece, Lindsey's "Out Of The Cradle" sounds dated with the drum machines. And, the Zoo's "Shakin' The Cage" sounded a bit dated when it was released (too hair metal). So, I'm not going to completely knock Stevie on this point.

THE Stephen Hopkins