View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 03:38 PM
Junior Ledgie

chiliD:
Quote:
One of the things that surprised me about "Then Play On" in subsequent years...1) a lot of the solos I attributed to Peter Green were actually Danny Kirwan. For example, all the solos on "Oh Well" are Danny; Peter just plays the opening riff and all of Part 2 (the classical part); and the aggressive solos on the two "Madges" are Danny; Peter plays the subdued riffs...
Are you sure about this? Is there a source for this comment? I highly doubt that Kirwan would be playing lead guitar on Green's compositions. I know they were collaborative, but Kirwan had plenty of room for his own songs and soloing on TPO. The liner notes to The Vaudeville Years say that for "Underway", Kirwan played the choppy rhythm guitar, while Green played the lead line. I would wager that on Green's songs, they followed this same basic template. I'm not trying to be contradictory, I'm just surprised.

macfan 57:
Quote:
It doesn't appear that Jeremy Spencer is on this album.
Actually Jeremy plays piano on "Oh Well part 2", and I think somewhere else too, but I don't have the liner notes to The Vaudeville Years in front of me, so I don't know for sure. The FM EP with Spencer's parodies can be found on The Vaudeville Years. A good comp with the aforementioned full versions of "Underway" & "The Madge Sessions", and a killer studio take of "Like It This Way".

If there's ever an album that needed remastering it's TPO. It's one of my fav FM albums. Very unique and different from any of the other albums. It could benefit from some bonus tracks too, of which I'm sure Reprise has (like "The Green Manalishi" b/w "World In Harmony" single for instance. I don't know what Reprise is waiting for.

Anyways, first post too. Good to be here. Cheers,

Andy